Tear in <span class="highlight">Trak</span> <span class="highlight">Shak</span> floor material

Submitted: Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 06:13
ThreadID: 81709 Views:3135 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Wow that Trak Shak is one tough rig.
We had to battern down the camper, and endure a rather severe storm, last Easter, but every time I try to fix the problem, it seems to get worse, or just not work at all.

Now we have a small 4" tear/wear point high up in the floor material, right on a corner, where the material meets the actual canvas.

How do I fix it...........?????????????????

Material is like that synthetic carpet backing.....or like a synthetic hessian ...

I have tried stitching on a patch , but that don't work.

Being almost porus, I have tried Sikaflexing some actual carpet backing on it and then pressing the whole thing together, with clamps and wood, leaving it for 2 - days and trying that...

Any Ideas please... would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 09:50

Monday, Oct 04, 2010 at 09:50
hi Bucky

a real PIA when some of the so called simple problems are not so simple to fix hey! not sure if any of these ideas are any good but here goes:

When patching it, rather than apply a large patch over whole area, try do a smaller one about 10 cent piece size. if that sticks ten go ahead do whole area and stick larger patch directly over the small new one you did, if not you wont have a huge mess.

2 glues i have used but not sure if they will work here are:

WELDBOND: looks like a PVA type of woodglue consistency. but brochure lists a heck of a lot of things it will glue and seal. The brochure and glue are in bunnings etc. Bottle has a red label

SELLEYS ALL FIX (Label says: STICKS JUST ABOUT ANYTHING): I have used this (and weldbond) when I removed and relined the interior of a van. Also available at bunnings etc in a gold coloured cartridge type tube and also other smaller tubes with screw on caps.

They were both very strong, but not to sure how 'waterproof' the last one is?? best of luck....
AnswerID: 432079

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 03:14

Tuesday, Oct 05, 2010 at 03:14
PradOz
The hole created by the storm is a wear thin type hole that has to be addressed. It is situated roughly 1 metre above the floor line, in a corner that has to be semi stretched,, to form a weather seal.

That in itself is a problem, without adding to the fact that the material is not that flash, in the first place.

I put the same problem to Trak Shak distributers at the Melbourne Leisurefiest, (4x4, Fishing and Camping Show) on Sunday just gone. He tole me that they can replace the complete floor for about $1500, but couldn't advise me how to fix the problem......Typical.

I will drop in to local stores, and check out the adhesives availble, failing that I will stop at Bunnings next time I go by one

Thanks for the info
Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 702946

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Oct 30, 2010 at 21:54

Saturday, Oct 30, 2010 at 21:54
I had a similar problem with my Trak Shak floor.

I patched it with a piece of real good gaffa tape. I expected it to be a temporary repair but it has been in place for about 8 years now.

Duncs
AnswerID: 434648

Sponsored Links